This village, a middle- and working class suburb, was Incorporated in 1853. It was nearly called Bloorville after a leading citizen and ower of a brewery. By 1861 it was served by the Toronto Street Railway line along Yonge Street. Problems in obtaining a satisfactory water supply (see Yorkville Waterworks) led to annexation to The City of Toronto in 1883. It then became St. Paul’s Ward. Boundaries in 1878 are shown in green. We usually connect the name Yorkville to the area between Yonge Street and Avenue Road; however, this village actually streached between Bedford Road in the west to Sherbourne Street in the east and included west Rosedale and part of “the Annex.”
Significant industry included brick yards and breweries.