Located east of Poplar Plains Road, on Castle Frank Brook, where the High Level Pumping Station is now, it was built in 1875 at a cost of about $70,000. It provided Yorkville with a supply of pure water for domestic use and fire protection. The water was pumped up to the Yorkville Reservoir (which was located where Brown School is now) and thence in iron pipes to village homes and businesses. Water hydrants were placed on all streets and a fire alarm telegraph system was introduced. The waterworks equipment was meant to be as efficient and as economical as any in the province, but when this failed to be the case, a good water supply became a strong reason for annexation.