This brewery was built about 1835 in Rosedale Ravine just east of Yonge Street. It Was two hundred feet long, forty feet wide, rose four stories high including stock cellars and vaults, while the smaller malt house stood three stories. In 1867 a fifteen horsepower steam engine was in use and twelve hands were employed in manufacturing ale and porter. Some 6,000 to 7,000 gallons of beer were produced each week. John Severn was not satisfied with the local water for brewing so piped it in from Summerhill up Yonge Street, through wooden pipes. Severn served as both Reeve and Councillor on the Yorkville Council - the beer barrel on the Yorkville coat of arms commemorated his service to the community.