The Taylor Brothers built their “Upper Mill” on West Don near their saw and grist mills in 1846 with encouragement from George Brown, who wanted a local supply of newsprint for The Globe. He had a paper-making machine shipped from Edinburgh and installed at their new mill.
At that time, the making paper process was a tedious operation requiring at least ten men and boys to run the various types of machinery. Paper was made from rags, the best from linen. The paper produced here was not top quality. They used homespun wool and cotton to which was added straw and jute and later esparto grass.
In time, they owned three mills in the Don Valley which they called the Upper, Middle and Lower Mills. The Upper Mill closed in 1890.