Toronto is not thought of as a automobile manufacturing centre; however, the first cars constructed in Ontario were produced on this site. The Dixon Carriage Works made the wood and leather bodies for the Still electric car commissioned by Frederick Barnard Fetherstonhaugh, a Toronto patent attorney, in 1893. The Still car was the first ever to be built in Toronto. This was the second car produced in Canada as an earlier car was built in Quebec in 1867. The Dixon Carriage Works operated for thirty-two years at this location. Its main function was supplying horse-drawn vehicles for Toronto’s families and businesses. The works was a red brick four-storey building with additions.
Information from “A Glimpse of Toronto’s History.” MPLS# 167