#555 Avenue Road is the last house form building on this stretch of Avenue Road, which in the 30s & 40s was lined with fine residences. This house was built in 1930 by George Howard Ferguson, Premier of Ontario, from 1923 to ‘30 & High Commissioner to the UK from 1930 to ‘35. After his wife’s death in 1959, the Toronto Public Library Board bought this house and it became the Music Library Branch. The auditorium on the south side was built in 1967. In 1977 the Music Library was moved to the new Metropolitan Reference Library on Yonge Street. The house remained empty until 1980, when the Religious Order of the Cenacle bought it as a retreat house. In 1988 Upper Canada Development purchased it and made extensive renovations, but were unable to hold on to it due to a downturn in the real estate market and it became the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea. Fine Oaks & Beeches grow on the grounds.