Caverhill, or the Geary House, at 124 Park Road, built in 1855, is one of the oldest residences still in use as a family home in Toronto. It is the oldest in Rosedale after Drumsnab. The original house was only one story. The second story was added in 1863 and the verandah circa 1904.
Its most famous owner was “Reg” Geary, mayor of Toronto from 1910 to 1912 and later the city’s corporate council and a Conservative Member of Parliament. He named it for his wife whose maiden name was Caverhill. It was renovated in 1987. (For more about Caverhill and its owners see “Fifty Tales of Toronto” by Donald Jones, which contains the story of Caverhill in chapter 9, and “Rosedale” by Bess Crawford).
The Thom House nearby at 54 South Drive, built in 1881, is an striking example of the
Italianate style of architecture, which dominated American houses from 1850 to 1880. It was one of the first homes built in Rosedale